A limited number of QOVF members across the U.S. have registered to serve as LongArmy Volunteers at no charge.
QOVF members in good standing may request a LongArmy Volunteer by completing and submitting the form below. Be sure the form is complete before submitting. You will received an automated response with your request number.
The Foundation’s LongArmy Volunteer Coordinator provides the assigned volunteer’s contact information to the quilt maker. This is usually within 30 days of the request.
Once the quilt maker and LongArmy Volunteer have communicated, the quilt maker ships the quilt top and backing. The volunteer contacts the quilt maker within five days of receiving the quilt top and backing to confirm the package has arrived.
Quilt makers who do not receive confirmation from their volunteer within five days should contact the Longarm Coordinator.
- Make sure your top will finish no smaller than 55 x 65″ and no larger than 72″ x 90″;
- Press the quilt top;
- Trim threads on front and back of the top;
- Make sure the top is free of allergens (pet hair, smoke, perfume);
- Make sure the backing is eight 8” wider in width and length than the top;
- Make sure no selvage edges are included in backing seam. Selvages are more tightly woven and sometimes cause needling problems;
- Trim ends of backing evenly;
- Press backing and seams;
- Fold top and backing neatly and place in plastic bag to protect fabric during shipping;
- Ship in a sturdy box or shipping bag (LongArmy Volunteers appreciate boxes or bags large enough to accommodate return of the quilted quilt).
More information may be found in the Policies & Procedures manual.
To request a LongArmy Volunteer, sign into the Member Dashboard and complete the Request a LongArmy Volunteer form for a pairing.