Appendix E.2 Labels for Quilts of Valor
A Quilt of Valor must be labeled as such.
Quilts of Valor labels may be:
- Handwritten, using permanent ink designed for fabric such as Sakura Pigma® Micron® Pen or Sakura Identi-Pen®. • Machine embroidered • Computer generated • Pieced
- Purchased from SPOONFLOWER
Occasionally a fabric company such as Moda or Andover will print QOV labels which can be purchased at your local quilt store.
Information that must be included on a Quilt of Valor label includes:
- The words “Quilt of Valor.”
- The quilt maker(s) name and state, including the maker of the top, the quilter (machine or hand), and the binder. Full names are acceptable.
- Space to fill in the name of the awardee.
Labels may also include:
- Expression of gratitude.
- A dedication (for example, “My dad, a Vietnam Veteran”)
- Date awarded.
- Washing Instructions (cold water, mild detergent, “color catcher,” dry on low heat).
Labels may not include: Religious or political messages (possible exception if the recipient is well known).