Requesting a Longarmer
A limited number of longarm machine quilters across the U.S. have registered to serve as volunteer longarmers at no charge.
QOVF members in good standing may request a volunteer longarmer by completing and submitting the form below.Be sure the form is complete before submitting.
The Foundation’s Longarm Coordinator (LC) provides the assigned longarmer’s contact information to the quilt maker within seven to ten working days of receiving the request.
Once the quilt maker and longarmer have communicated, the quilt maker ships the quilt top and backing to the longarmer. The longarmer contacts the quilt maker within five to seven business days of receiving the quilt top and backing to confirm the package has arrived.
Quilt makers who do not receive confirmation from their longarmer within seven days should contact the Longarm Coordinator.
- Press the quilt top.
- Trim threads on front and back of the top.
- Make sure the top is free of allergens (pet hair, smoke, perfume).
- Make sure the backing is eight 8” wider in width and 8” longer in length than the top.
- Make sure no selvage edges are included in backing seam (Selvages are more tightly woven and can sometimes cause needling problems.) Trim ends of backing even. Press backing and backing seams.
- Fold top and backing neatly and place in plastic bag to protect fabric during shipping.
- Ship in a sturdy box. (Longarmers appreciate boxes large enough to accommodate return of the quilted quilt).
More information may be found in the Policies & Procedures manual.