Phone: (202) 525-7683
Serve Your Country: Make a Quilt of Valor!
Even if you’ve never sewn before, you can participate in National Service by making a quilt for a combat veteran. An avid quilter, a Coach, will take you under her wings. At an Under Our Wings workshop, your Coach brings her sewing machine and other equipment and helps you every step of the way. Your Coach will teach you to sew a simple ¼” seam. She’ll do the cutting, pinning, and pressing, guiding you as you make easy patchwork blocks.
As a Rookie, you supply the fabric for the quilt. You can buy quality, reasonably priced fabric or a kit at a quilt shop. Some scholarships are available for Rookies unable to purchase fabric. Email us at infoUOW@QOVF.org for information.
FIND AN OFFICIAL UNDER OUR WINGS QUILT SHOP
Click here to find an Official Shop. Each of these independent quilt shops have registered with Quilts of Valor to participate in Under Our Wings. Many of their customers have volunteered to be Coaches. Coaches are ready to help you!
NO QUILT SHOP NEAR YOU?
You can still find a Coach and make a quilt. Look for a quilt club or guild in your community. Let quilters know you want to make a QOV but need help. Contact us if all else fails! Email: infoUOW@QOVF.org or call (202) 755-7653.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT UNDER OUR WINGS
- Under Our Wings (UOW) is a project of the Quilts of Valor Foundation. UOW pairs people who have not quilted before (Rookies) with avid quilters (Coaches) who help the Rookie make a Quilt of Valor as an act of National Service.
- Hundreds of independent quilt shops have registered as Official Under Our Wings Shops. These shops’ customers have volunteered to be Coaches. Shops schedule one- or two-day UOW workshops in their stores.
- Official Shops stock patterns and kits appropriate for Quilts of Valor. Nine American fabric companies have produced special collections of American Valor Fabrics especially for Quilts of Valor (QOVs), available in spring 2011. Quilt shops regularly stock red, white, and blue, so fabrics for QOVs are available at any time.
- As a Rookie, your job is to select a pattern for your QOV and purchase the fabric for the top, backing, and binding. The cost of a kit will vary depending on the patchwork and size. You might figure from $50-$90 for the top. Backing fabric can be an additional $30-$50. Your Coach or your shop can help with selection. Click here for free patterns available through the Quilts of Valor Foundation. If you get a volunteer machine quilter through the QOV Foundation, they provide thread and batting (see below). Quilts of Valor can be no smaller than 55” x 65”, no larger than 72” x 90”. Remember they are LAP quilts and many QOVs are used on hospital beds.
- The workshop will be around six hours. Your Coach will set up her sewing machine and other equipment. She’ll teach you to sew a ¼” seam. It’s easy! Your coach will cut, pin, and press as you stitch easy patchwork blocks. A second sewing day for joining blocks and adding borders may be needed.
- Once your quilt top is finished, a volunteer longarm quilter will quilt it. QOV longarmers donate batting and thread. Their turn-around time is 30 days from when they receive your top/backing. They return the quilted QOV back to you, i.e., they pay postage. Click here to request a volunteer longarm quilter.
- After your QOV has been quilted (may be from 4-6 weeks), you will get together again with your Coach to make and add binding, make a Presentation Case, and sew on a label. Click here to learn more about the whole QOV process.
- Quilts of Valor Foundation will assist you in finding a recipient for your Quilt of Valor if you need help. Click here for information on finding a destination.