Backing & Binding
Choosing fabrics and making backing and binding.
Backing your QOV
- Good quality 100% cotton, print or blender (NO Sheets)
- Cut straight
- If seamed, selvages removed
- 8 to 10 inches longer and wider than the top ( allows for drawing up of quilting and attaching to quilting machine.
- wide backing fabrics may be more economical
- Seams should run parallel to top and bottom of backing
- Cut fabrics the same length; pin and sew
- Straight cut diagonally seamed (unless edge of quilt is scalloped requiring bias binding).
- Corners mitered.
- Neatly applied by hand and/or machine.
- Color/fabric appropriate to quilt.